Newspapers and other publications are a rich source of information about family events such as births, marriages, deaths and probate notices. If your ancestor was in trouble with the law or a local identity you may well find evidence of them in newspapers.
- City Directories of the United States of America – search by state to find relevant directories, newspapers, and other records related to America.
- Cyndi’s List – for links to access newspaper websites you cannot get a more comprehensive list than on Cyndi’s List.
- E-Yearbook – search for US school, college, and military yearbooks.
- Genealogy Bank – this site has billions of American newspaper articles from 1690 to present day.
- Newspapers.com – over 6,000 historical newspapers from around the world from 1700’s-2000’s.
- Trove – this is an initiative of the National Library of Australia and provides a searchable index of Newspapers, Government Gazettes, Pictures, Letters, Diaries, Maps amongst numerous other items of historical interest. I have found great news articles relevant to my family in this Treasure Trove of documents.
- WorldCat – this catalogue enables you to search for journal and magazine articles from billions of records worldwide.